The month of November has some of the best sale prices on genealogy DNA tests all year long. 2018 looks to be no different.
So far, three companies have announced discounts on their DNA tests: 23andMe, AncestryDNA, and MyHeritage. I fully expect Family Tree DNA and Living DNA to follow suit soon. Shipping costs are not included unless specified.
- 23andMe’s Ancestry test, November 1–23: $69 for one and $49 when you buy 2 or more
- AncestryDNA, November 1–21: $59 per kit
Some customers are seeing buy-2-get-1-free ($39 each) or buy 3-get-1-free offers ($44 each). Not everyone will get the same offer. To get the deal, be sure to click on the sale banner.
- Ancestry Gift Subscriptions are 20% off
- MyHeritage, November 2–12: $49 per kit, plus free shipping if you buy 3 or more
- Living DNA, November 1–22: $79 per kit
I made this nifty graph to show the timelines of the sales. Multiple-kit discounts are shown after slashes (/).
I’ve been tracking test prices for the past 12 months, and here’s what I predict will happen in the coming weeks:
- The price for 23andMe’s Ancestry test won’t get any better, but their Ancestry + Health kit will go on sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday (Nov 23–26).
- AncestryDNA’s base price won’t get any lower, although there’s a good chance they’ll offer a “buy 3, get one free” deal to everyone after Thanksgiving.
- MyHeritage’s price of $49 is the lowest it’s ever been. It won’t go any lower. I suspect the sale will either be extended through Cyber Monday, or the price will go up then drop again on Black Friday.
- Family Tree DNA’s Family Finder test (currently $79) will drop in mid-November and drop again for Black Friday/Cyber Monday. They will also have sales on their yDNA and mtDNA tests after Thanksgiving.
- Living DNA’s test is now at its lowest price. I doubt it will go lower, but they may extend the sale through Cyber Monday or do one-day flash sale.
Bear in mind that these are my expectations based on past behavior, and I could be wrong. I don’t have inside information on the pricing strategies of the companies.